Aids and adaptations

Our aim is to enable people to stay in their own home and live as independently as possible.


Being able to remain independent and safe in your own home when you have a disability is vital. If you are disabled or seriously ill we may be able to make adjustments to your home to make life a bit easier for you.

Whether you need grab rails for the bath, temporary ramps for your wheelchair, or major work such as a level-access shower and kitchen alterations, contact us. We may be able to share the cost with your local authority so you do not have to pay for the work.

Major adaptations

We provide a major adaptations service (usually funding up to 50%) in partnership with local authorities who contribute the remaining cost through a Disabled Facilities Grant. Residents can be assessed for an adaptation by calling their local Adult Social Care office and asking for an Occupational Therapist to visit their home and carry out an assessment.

Minor adaptations

We have limited funding for minor adaptations. Residents, Occupational Therapists and other medical professionals will be advised when funding is no longer available for any minor adaptations. Residents can still contact their local authority to ask if they would fully fund the minor adaptation work.

Minor adaptations include:

  • Grab rails, hand rails, banister rails and external handrails to step
  • Level access thresholds
  • Changing taps, heating controls, window latches and door and toilet handles (to fittings that help you use them more easily)
  • Extending pull cord switches
  • Lowering a light switch
  • Raising a power point
  • Alterations to doorsteps
  • Minor alterations to kitchen units and sinks
  • Installing key safes
  • Raised toilet seat
  • Shower seats
  • Thumb turn locks
  • Temporary ramps
  • Fitting additional internal/external lighting

We ask that as much detail as possible is provided around the minor adaptations requested, including rail sizes and a description of the location of the adaptation. If residents are unsure of any details, please contact your local Adult Social Care office and ask for an Occupational Therapist to visit your home and carry out an assessment.

Please contact us for more details or to apply for an adaptation to your home.

Private work

If you're arranging for work to be done privately, you first need written permission from us before making any changes to your property. We will need details of the work and who will be making the changes.