Damp and Mould
For more detailed information on preventing damp and black mould, you can download our leaflet:
Supporting residents with damp and mould
You may have seen media coverage of the tragic death of Awaab Ishak, which was attributed to damp and mould. Like many others, we are deeply saddened.
Following the publication of the coroner’s report last month into the death of Awaab, there is rightly a renewed focus on damp and mould. The Housing Ombudsman has stated that housing associations must have a zero-tolerance approach to damp and mould, whilst recognising there will never be zero cases.
Emh’s damp and mould working group has been meeting for over 12 months to review our approach and develop a targeted response. In addition, our Big Project has been looking at how we can improve data collection, processes and communications. The result of this integrated approach so far has been:
- An Internal audit that has provided assurances on how we manage with damp and mould
- A dedicated in-house damp and mould response team of eight operatives that aims to arrange an appointment with the resident within 48 hours of reporting to take remedial/immediate action to remove visible mould and raise follow-up works if required.
- A stock condition survey programme which will see us surveying 8,500 properties this financial year, providing insights for improvement programmes and ensuring our homes meet Decent Homes Standards.
- The creation of a strategic damp and mould group to monitor progress and provide updates to the Executive Team, Health and Safety Committee, Group Audit Committee and the board.
- We have also created a dedicated damp and mould email address for customers and alternative ways of reporting digitally. If you are a resident, please report damp and mould to us on our website via myhomeonline, by emailing DampandMould@emh.co.uk or by calling 0300 123 6000.
Damp and Mould Policy
Emh aims to provide high quality homes which contribute to sustainable neighbourhoods and communities. To achieve this, we aim to manage reports of damp and mould, or contributing factors (such as condensation) in a proactive way. This may be through the completion of reactive repairs, planned works or in some cases by providing advice and information to customers on measures they can take to help manage damp and mould through changes to the way they use their home.
For further details you can download the emh Damp and Mould Policy here.