Service Charges

Service charges are the cost of providing specific services over and above the core management of properties.  For further information please refer to the FAQs below.

  • What is a Service Charge?

    A service charge is an amount you pay towards the costs of services and repairs in communal areas. This charge is in addition to your rent.

    The service charges you pay will be set out in your tenancy agreement or lease.

  • How is the Service Charge calculated?

    Your services charges are calculated using:

    ·       The previous year’s actual costs
    ·       Any known or estimated changes in costs for the current year
    ·       Added inflation from the previous July (which for last year was 6.8%)

    This gives an overall cost for the scheme, which is divided equally between the customers who receive the services. You will only pay for your share of the services you receive. You’ll receive details of your service charge breakdown with your rent notification letter.

  • Why am I not paying the same for Service Charges as my neighbour/somebody I know on another estate?

    The charges are calculated based on the scheme costs and then allocated per property. The split across properties can vary dependent on the property size and type, and services received.

  • What other services are emh homes charging for?

    You will only pay charges applicable to your property.

  • Why am I paying for fly tipping/graffiti?

    It is important that we maintain the good appearance of our communal areas. To do this it is necessary to deal with fly-tipping and graffiti. This is a cost funded through service charges.

  • What if I think my charge is incorrect?

    If you have a query in relation to your 2024/25 service charge, please contact us using your MyHomeOnline account or by calling us on 0300 123 6000.  

  • What if I can't afford the increase?

    If you are struggling to pay your rent, please talk to us. We are here to help. We have our own Money Matters team. They can provide help and support to increase your income and reduce your expenditure. They can also signpost you to organisations who offer free, independent money and debt advice. If you would like to speak to a member of our Money Matters team, please call them on 0300 123 6000 or email If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, your benefit will increase with your rent.

  • I can't find the answer to my question?

    If you have any other questions regarding your rent or service charges, please contact us using your MyHomeOnline account or by calling us on 0300 123 6000.

If you are struggling to pay your rent or service charge there may be other organisations that can offer you advice and support.  Please see the document below for further details.