s17 emh 0354

What is safeguarding?

Safeguarding means protecting people's health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. emh has policies for safeguarding adults at risk and children & young people.

The Care Act 2014, safeguarding duties apply to an adult (18 and over) who:

  • Has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs)
  • Is experiencing, or at risk of abuse or neglect; As a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse and neglect.

Safeguarding children and young people and promoting their welfare means:

  • Protecting children from maltreatment
  • Preventing wherever possible impairment of children’s health or development
  • Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
  • Taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.

Abuse & neglect

Anyone can suffer abuse regardless of age, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender, or economic status. Abuse is mistreatment by any other person or persons that violates a person's human and civil rights Abuse is a single or repeated act, or lack of appropriate action, occurring within a relationship, where there is an expectation of trust, which causes harm or distress to a person.

The following list of types of abuse is not exhaustive but rather illustrative of the kinds of abuse that might be experienced.

  • Physical
  • Emotional or psychological
  • Financial
  • Domestic violence
  • Sexual
  • Discriminatory
  • Organisational
  • Neglect by another person or people
  • Self-neglect
  • Cuckooing

What do we do

Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and all of our staff receive safeguarding training. We work closely with other agencies and make referrals to them to make sure people who receive support from us are free from abuse and neglect.

emh care & support has an appointed Safeguarding Lead and a Deputy Safeguarding Lead.

Reporting a safeguarding issue

eye, ear and text bubble

If there’s immediate danger contact 999 for assistance in the first instance. If it's not an emergency, you can speak to your local police department by calling 101.

If you're a staff member and you need support with a potential safeguarding situation that doesn't require immediate police assistance, please contact your line manager without delay who will be able to assist you further. You can find further information including safeguarding policies and processes within I-browse.

If you receive – or know someone who receives - care and support services from emh, you can contact us here.

If you're an emh customer/tenant, you can contact us here.

You can also contact social services to report your concerns. Contact your local authority who will be able to assist you with your enquiry. Alternatively, you can download the NHS Safeguarding app.

External safeguarding contacts / referral points

Emergency services 999 Local police (non-emergency) 101

Local authority

Derbyshire Safeguarding Adults Board
Call: 01629 533190

Leicestershire and Rutland Safeguarding Adults Board
Call: 0116 305 0004 (Leicestershire) 01572 758 341 (Rutland)

Leicester City Council
Call: 0116 454 1004

Warwickshire Safeguarding
Call: 01926 412080

Nottinghamshire Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub
Call: 0300 456 4546

Northamptonshire Adults Safeguarding Board (NASB) - North
Call: 0300 126 3000

Northamptonshire Adults Safeguarding Board (NASB) - West
Call: 0300 126 7000


Call: 101 or call the National Police Prevent Advice line on 0800 011 3764.

Derbyshire Police PREVENT Team

Leicestershire & Rutland Police PREVENT Team
Nottinghamshire Police PREVENT Team

Northamptonshire Police PREVENT Team

Warwickshire PREVENT Team

Further support

If you require further support please use the links below.

Hourglass -

Women’s Aid -

SafeLives -


Age UK -

NHS Safeguarding Trusted Partners -