Complaints, Compliments and Comments


We appreciate all feedback and are always open to listening to the views and ideas of our residents.

A Guide to Complaints

In this section, you will find all the information relevant to complaints.

Emh is constantly striving to improve our services, and we welcome your complaints, comments, and compliments. Our aim is to deliver excellent standards of service to all our residents. However, we acknowledge that sometimes things go wrong or that the services we offer may not always meet expectations. When our services do not live up to expectations or if you have suggestions or comments on how we can improve our services, we want to know about it so we can put things right and learn from when things have gone wrong and when things go right.

How to make a complaint

We want to make it as easy as possible to make a complaint about our services and they can be made in any of the following ways.

In person

By telephone on 0300 123 6000

By Email at

By Post to Complaints Resolution Team, emh, Memorial House, Stenson Road, Coalville, Leicestershire, LE67 4JP.

Via our website, click here

By Self-service portal, click here

Via Facebook & Twitter: @emhhomes

Through another person, perhaps an advocate, social worker, solicitor, etc.

If you are not satisfied with how emh is handling your complaint, you can refer the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

What happens when I make a complaint?

  • What type of complaints are excluded by emh?

    A complaint regarding a breach of tenancy such as anti-social behaviour will not be regarded as a complaint unless the complaint is about our handling of the issue.

    Complaints relating to the conduct or behaviour of a staff member may be treated under our internal disciplinary processes – we will tell you if this is the case.

    We will not accept the following complaints:

    • Where the matter is subject to legal proceedings
    • Where the complainant is acting unreasonably
    • Where the service failure occurred more than six months prior
    • Where the problem is a recurring issue, and we are satisfied we have previously resolved the issue.

    If we decide not to accept your complaint, we will write to you and explain why, and you will have the right to challenge this decision by referring the matter to the Housing Ombudsman.

Closing Complaints

We will write to you and let you know when we consider the complaint closed, giving you the opportunity to provide further feedback or to escalate the complaint accordingly. We will provide timescales for this in the letter.

If you are not satisfied after stage two of our complaint’s procedure, you are able to refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

To see what the Ombudsman does and how they can help, please click here.

Housing Ombudsman

  • Who are they?

    The Housing Ombudsman Service is set up by law to look at complaints about the housing organisations that are registered with them which includes emh. Their service is free, independent, and impartial.

    They resolve disputes involving the tenants and leaseholders of social landlords (housing associations and local authorities) and their voluntary members (private landlords and letting agents who are committed to good service for their tenants).

  • How do they work?

    They consider complaints using their dispute resolution principles and encourage landlords and residents to use these principles so they can resolve complaints together at the earliest possible opportunity. Their dispute resolution process is based on these principles. If it is possible, early, local resolution is always the best resolution. As a service they improve by learning from outcomes and helping individuals and organisations to do the same by learning from best practice across the housing sector.

    Their actions are also governed by the Housing Ombudsman Scheme, which sets out the matters that they can and cannot consider within their role. See their jurisdiction fact sheet for more information.

  • How do I contact the Housing Ombudsman?

    Should you wish to contact the Housing Ombudsman or obtain further information, you can do so using the below details:

    Telephone: 0300 111 3000 between 9.15am & 5.15pm: Monday to Friday


    By post: Housing Ombudsman Service, PO Box 152, Liverpool L33 7WQ


Useful Downloads

Financial services provided by emh homes: Complaints policies

This policy covers complaints received by emh group in relation to services that are not considered as requiring regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority under Consumer Credit Activities.

Complaints relating to FCA regulated services are dealt with under a separate policy as required by the FCA. The services this covers are:

  • Lifeline (not including personal alarms linked to tenancies)
  • Financial advice, including debt advice and debt adjusting
  • Tenants contents insurance
  • Open Market Homebuy properties
  • Equity loans
  • Debt collection in relation to the above services