To help make things easier for you, every so often we will review the questions our Customer Services team are most frequently asked and gather them on this page. Hopefully the information on the linked pages will answer your questions in full, but if you require anything further please feel free to email us:

  • Can you help me with anti-social behaviour in my area?

    We know that anti-social behaviour (ASB) can cause a great deal of distress, which is why we are committed to helping to try and keep our neighbourhoods free from ASB. We will do all we can to help you with your complaint. We use a variety of methods to resolve ASB, and it is important to realise that not all action will lead to eviction. Please see our specific page on ASB.

  • Can I swap my home with another emh homes tenant?

    You have the right to change tenancies subject to a few simple rules. Further information can be found here.

  • What does my Service Charge pay for?
  • Can I sublet my home or one of the rooms?

    As a tenant of emh you may be able to sublet part of your property.

    We fully support the Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme and any of our customers who want to help Ukrainian nationals at this very difficult time. As an organisation, we are doing all we can to help and work with our key local authority partners. Details of the scheme are available online.

    Everyone who applies to this scheme will be subject to a range of checks, including those in the sponsoring household and those coming to the UK. Homes will also be checked for suitability. You must be willing to provide accommodation for at least 6 months. You will not receive rent payments; however, the Government is offering an optional "thank you" payment of £350 per month. Current information states that this payment should not affect a sponsors entitlement to benefits or council tax status. We will continue to update our website as more information about the scheme becomes available.

    If you have room for a lodger and are thinking about registering on the scheme, please remember there are a few things to bear in mind to make sure you are still complying with your tenancy agreement.

    • If you are a tenant with emh homes, you need to seek our permission.
    • You also must not overcrowd your home.
    • You will be responsible for the behaviour of your lodger and all household members.

    Subletting the whole of your property is illegal and enforcement action will be taken against you.

  • Are emh homes responsible for repair work to the property as a result of pests/vermin?

    Where there has been structural damage to your property as a result of pests or vermin, we are responsible for undertaking the necessary repairs. This includes sealing holes, repairing cracks, and replacing damaged pipeworks which would allow rats or mice to re-enter the property; fixing doors, skirting boards, pipes, brickwork, and any damage to electrical wiring where rats or mice have chewed through it.

    You are responsible for the removal of any infestation, including wasps, rats, mice, squirrels, bed bugs and bees. If an infestation is found within a communal area we can arrange for a pest control contractor to attend. These costs will be included in the scheme’s service charge costs.

  • Can I have a pet?

    If you have your own entrance or garden you may apply for permission to have a pet. However, you are not permitted to keep any dog which fits the description under the Dangerous Dogs Act. Our policy states that the following dogs listed under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 are not permitted as pets: Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, or Fila Braziliero. From 2023 this includes the American XL bully. This is with the exception of dogs registered on the index of Exempted dogs. In these cases, although the dog is a banned breed, the dog will have undergone an assessment to determine that it is safe, and the owner will be legally bound to comply with certain conditions. Further information is available at:

    Please also be advised that you are responsible for managing the behaviour of any pets that you choose to keep at the property.

    Permission for you to keep a pet can be revoked at any time where these conditions are not met.

    You are not allowed to keep a dog or a cat in flats or properties where there is a communal entrance or shared garden(s) unless it is a disability dog.

  • Can I have an extra parking permit?

    We are currently reviewing parking management arrangements across our schemes. Where parking control is in place, please contact Customer Services to discuss how you can apply for an additional permit.

  • I want to move out – how do I end my tenancy?

    There are several reasons why you might want to leave your property. This page will guide you through some important things to consider when moving on.

  • Can I book a non-emergency repair for a time convenient for me?

    You can make an appointment for a time that suits you.

    If you have a repair need that is not an emergency but affects your comfort or convenience, you can make an appointment with us to carry out the repair at a time within normal working hours that suits you.

    This includes things like follow-on works from an emergency, minor plumbing leaks or defects, minor electrical faults, and roof leaks.