Home contents insurance

my home contents insurance

Why do I need it?

emh homes does not cover your contents as part of your tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen. Home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

My Home Contents Insurance Scheme

my home contents insurance

emh homes has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist contents insurance policies for tenants. My Home Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

The scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose My Home Contents Insurance Scheme:

  • Apply over the telephone or complete an application form
  • No excess (you do not pay the first part of the claim)
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • Covers tenant’s improvements (up to £2,000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)
  • Covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000)
  • Covers damage to external glazing which you are responsible for
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen (up to £500)
  • You don't need to have special door or window locks (just a lockable front door)
  • Flexible regular pay-as-you-go payment options (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge).

Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance. Thistle has partnered with Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited to provide this cover. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the policy wording, which you should read carefully. Please note fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction change.

If you're unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you, please contact Thistle Tenant Risks who will be happy to help with your queries.

How do I get further information?

If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, complete an application form (below) or call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288.

Alternatively, visit here for more information. Prior to completing the application form, please review the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement and Insurance Product Information document. These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance as well as key information regarding the insurance cover. Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

What to do if you have a complaint

It's always Thistle's intention to give you the best possible service but if you do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim you should follow their complaints procedure.

Thistle Insurance Services complaints procedure is available on request. For additional information, view their complaints page here.

The National Housing Federation working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

The My Home Contents Insurance Data Protection Privacy Policy is available here.

It is important to protect your belongings and your landlord suggests that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance, however there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.