Aids and adaptations

Our aim is to enable people to stay in their own home and live as independently as possible.


Being able to remain independent and safe in your own home when you have a disability is vital. If you are disabled or seriously ill we may be able to make adjustments to your home to make life a bit easier for you.

Whether you need grab rails for the bath, temporary ramps for your wheelchair, or major work such as a level-access shower and kitchen alterations, contact us. We may be able to share the cost with your local authority so you do not have to pay for the work.

Major adaptations

Major works are adaptations that meet the criteria outlined in emh homes’ aids and adaptations procedures detailed here.

These works will be considered following a recommendation made by an occupational therapist assessment. Following this assessment, a formal request is made to our Asset & Compliance team. We will support and assist tenants as necessary with applying to their local authority for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).

Where possible we will work in partnership with other funding bodies and charities to access grants towards the costs of adaptations requested. Further details are in our Aids and Adaptations guide under 'What’s the Process'.

Minor adaptations

We have limited funding for minor adaptations. Residents, Occupational Therapists and other medical professionals will be advised when funding is no longer available for any minor adaptations. Residents can still contact their local authority to ask if they would fully fund the minor adaptation work.

Minor adaptations include:

  • Grab rails, hand rails, banister rails and external handrails to step
  • Level access thresholds
  • Changing taps, heating controls, window latches and door and toilet handles (to fittings that help you use them more easily)
  • Extending pull cord switches
  • Lowering a light switch
  • Raising a power point
  • Alterations to doorsteps
  • Minor alterations to kitchen units and sinks
  • Installing key safes
  • Raised toilet seat
  • Shower seats
  • Thumb turn locks
  • Temporary ramps
  • Fitting additional internal/external lighting

We ask that as much detail as possible is provided around the minor adaptations requested, including rail sizes and a description of the location of the adaptation. If residents are unsure of any details, please contact your local Adult Social Care office and ask for an Occupational Therapist to visit your home and carry out an assessment.

Please contact us for more details or to apply for an adaptation to your home.

Private work

If you're arranging for work to be done privately, you first need written permission from us before making any changes to your property. We will need details of the work and who will be making the changes.